August 8, 2011

Baking Weekend


We were supposed to join my family for the Penang Weekend Trip at the Hard Rock Penang. Unfortunately, Chloe and Clarisse both are infected with conjunctivitis. So, Papa said Noone is going to ANYWHERE! The whole family left on Saturday morning, while 4 of us stayed home spending the quality bonding time among ourselves. Well, it is not so bad at all. 

So, What did Mama bake?

1. Japanese Style Sweet Dough Bun - Roux-Water Method


I rolled the dough flat and filled them with Tuna & Onion.


No matter how I tried to shape these dough with no fillings, they just don't turn into a ball or any shapes that I wanted. The more I try to shape, the dough just  break apart. I really can't figure out why. I could have just rolled it flat and shape it AS IF THERE WAS fillings in it, but then I was too tired and I didn't thought of this at that moment. Anyway, ODD SHAPRE BUN.


I guess you should be able to distinguish which buns are filled with Tuna and which are not ... Can you? :(


Tick Tock Tick Tock ... Not expecting much of a good outcomes since these doughs texture looked kinda funny to me. It was so elastic and I was not able to form any shape out from the dough. No round round round!!!


This is how it looked. Well, from the outside, it don't  look so bad at all. I immediately tasted it while it was still hot. The crust is not hard, and inside is not as fluffy as it supposed to be but still considerably soft. Not enough filling, the taste of the bun is not so delightful. Needless to say, those without any filling were worse.


This is what happened when the centre of the dough was too thin, it torn apart by itself while it was proofing. What happened was I rolled the piece of dough in equal thickness. When I tried to form into a bun, the bottom of the buns turned out VERY thick and the top became thin and torn like as shown. Sob Sob Sob. Such a FAIL PROJECT.

2. Steam Pumpkin Pau with Pumpkin Paste


This is called the LAZY SIMPLE PAU SHAPE


This is called the HARDWORKING TEDIOUS Pumpkin Shape


Pumpkin Paste is not something that I would do for my next PAU. It is Sweet!! Something like Kaya and not very nice. If I really want Pumpkin Paste, I will not  add in sugar, cream and salt. I will just fry the pumpkin in tiny cubes and then wrap as the Pau Filling. I think this will taste better than this. I might as well filled it with KAYA. The coconut and sugar had overtook the beauty of the Pumpkin Natural Taste. However, the PAU turned out Good. Fluffy and Soft. Just the fillings that contribute to a FAIL to this project. It is ok. Try again. Practice makes perfect, right? :P


Mama is not going to post the recipe since they are such a FAIL project. Papa didn't even support any of them, and he said I am so frivolous, got nothing better to do. *sigh* This is my husband now! My ex-boyfriend (a.k.a hubby now) used to EAT everything that I make even though it was MUCH WORSE than these as a support. See, the differences between a boyfriend and a hubby. Infact, I ate two of the Sweet Dough Bun with fillings, and I sent these unpopular buns to the dustbin the next day. Sob Sob Sob, it was such a WASTE and I don't feel good about it. But, it was really NOT good at all. Anyway, the Tuna turned bad the next day. As for the Pumpkin Pau, they are all in Mini sizes, so I ate 3 of them myself. I think my maids heard that I am going to send them away to some guards, they tried it themselves and told me that it is not BAD, and they ate some. In fact, I feel really bad If I have to throw these PAU again. So, I brought 4 to office today, and will have them later. It is my project so I have the responsibility to eat them. 

No comments: