January 6, 2009

To Do or Not To Do?

Last Sunday, I had dinner with Hubby's friends. I was chatting with Audrey who has a daughter of 7 months old. She told me that Tong Tong, Audrey's Daughter, sleeps through the night since she was 2 months old. Tong Tong's sleeping pattern is almost like an adult as she will sleep at 10pm and wakes up the next day 6am or 7am, otherwise close to 10am. WOW~ I exclaimed enviously. Baby Chloe is already coming 6 weeks old and she is no where close to Tong Tong's Sleeping pattern. i asked Audrey for her secret to adjust her baby's sleeping pattern, and she said I just need to be strict and determined enough to make it happen. How??? I asked. She told me when Tong Tong woke up at 2am and 5am, she fed her water instead of milk. Replaced the milk to water even though she will not be satisfied. Allow her to cry and train her to adapt not having milk in the night. Then, slowly omit the water as well and replaced it with pacifier. Again, she will start crying if there is no feed at all, not even water. Gradually, Baby would understand since she would not be entertained or fed with anything, she would choose to sleep.

It sounded so easy for her, as for me I can't even bear to see Baby Chloe cries for 5 minutes. OMG, to be honest, not even 1 minute. It is so torturous for me to hear Baby Chloe cries and cries and cries. No joke, her cries are not ordinary cries, hers is LOUD, CLEAR, FURIOUS, SYMPATHETIC. How can i totally ignore her? But I want her to sleep through the night without disturbing myself & hubby. Am I too selfish? Am I too cruel? Let Baby Chloe cries it all out herself without feeding her? Or rather think positively, I am just training Baby to adapt to normal sleeping pattern? Treat it as an education?!!!

Gosh, such a difficult decision to make!! If I don't try, I will be forever trapped (at least until she's one year old) for 2-3 feed in the night. How am I suppose to regain my energy to go to work? How am I suppose to concentrate at work? How am I suppose to survive for one year without sleep of good eight hour STRAIGHT???!!!

I will think about it again!!!!

No comments: