June 7, 2012

A Proud "Kiasu" MaMa

PaPa has stereotyped MaMa as one of those "Kiasu" Mothers, and we have been arguing numerously about sending my girls to "TOO" many activities (which of course I totally disagree, and as a matter of fact I think I have not done enough!!). 

PaPa's point of view is that I should let my girls to relax and help them build a memorable childhood which involves lots of plays, funs, happiness, food, sufficient sleeps etc etc. I should take it easy in terms of their learning path.

MaMa's concept of engaging my girls to many different activities is to build a strong and sturdy foundation for their future. For sure, MaMa is not totally disagreed with PaPa. I still believe and undoubtedly want my angels to have a fun and memorable childhood. Hence, My strategy is to incorporate fun while learning. 

Honestly, I have no idea how I can achieve it. I am not having high expectation for my girls to be high-scorer in the future as PaPa & MaMa are both not academically excellent students. Of course, it would be great if they can surpass us and molding a comfortable living independently. 

I have been looking around for Chinese Enrichment Center for Chloe (of course if Clarisse is accepted, I would want to send her too). BaoBei Wonderland was recommended by a friend, and the nearest branch from home does not have a 7pm class. Their last class is 6pm which will interrupt the girls' dinner time. Unless, I consider an early Dinner at 5pm for them, and expect them to be ready and leave home by 5.30pm. I am still considering. I am still pondering simply because the teacher of the center at this particular branch was not so convincing. 

Okay, put it this way, I am a chinese-ed, and I have many friends who speak really fluent Mandarin. Unfortunately, the teacher of the center didn't speak good/proper Mandarin. Her Mandarin is very localized and she uses a lot of colloquial. I don't mean this is VERY bad but just not convincing enough for me to adjust my work time and my girls' Dinner time to accommodate the class schedule. Nevertheless, I must said BaoBei is quite effective I guess because I took my chance to check out from a Malay girl's father. He told me that her girl can recognize 100 chinese words after 4 months. Hmm..Initially, I was at doubt when the teacher told me that her 3 year old student could recognize 100 chinese words in 3 months. Well, I guess somehow their technique works. 

I have been googling a lot on the Chinese Enrichment Center in KL/Sel but have not hunted anything yet. Do you know any? I am not being picky, I don't mind BaoBei, since I am Chinese-Ed, I am confident that I can guide them with a better pronunciation after their class. Not an issue at all. Anyway, I think I should try my best to look for alternative. In fact, I am contemplating whether or not I should just start them with BaoBei while searching for alternative?

Geezzz.... Indecisive... how to be a good mother? Sigh? 

By the way, I don't think I am Kiasu? What did I do for PaPa to stereotype me as Kiasu? Insist on Shichida? Insist on reading before bed? Insist on Art Class? Hello?? I have not done enough to achieve the "Kiasu" title. The truth is I don't mind to be the "Kiasu" mother for my kids. I want the title but I must work harder to be eligible for the title. I am proud to be a "Kiasu" Mom for the sake of my children. 
  • A good foundation will boost their confidence in their advance learning. 
  • A good foundation will enable them to enjoy their life in the future. 
  • A good foundation will eventually bring them happiness without them knowing it. 
Everyone must agrees that talent don't come naturally, it comes with a price, and that is "HARDWORK". It is proven that all talents will be paid off with their hardwork. We just need a little more patience to reach it. 

No comments: