July 21, 2010

Review After Dr. Ravi's Appointment - Week 35th

Had an appointment for checkup today. As usual, Dr Ravi did a thorough check, measuring every parts of the body. 

Mama's Weight : 60Kg
Baby's Weight : 2.2Kg (It means another Kilo to go!!!)


Baby Chloe was 3.58Kg and Dr. Ravi said Baby Clarisse should be around the same or SLIGHTLY smaller by comparing the growth chart. 

In the previous blog, I wanted to confirm a number of things with Dr. Ravi, and this is it:-


2) Induced Labor
  • I wasn't too sure what is an "Induced Labor". I had the contraction and was dilated 3cm when I went to see Dr. Ravi. He sent me to the Labor Ward, and I was strapped with gadgets and tracked my contraction patterns and baby's heart beat. I was also put on drip. Sorry, a bit ignorant here. I didn't know what was the drip for until now. Was I induced? Dunno leh!
ANSWER : Dr. Ravi said I was not induced. The drip was called .... "Ormentation" (Sorry, dunno how to spell). It means it helps to make the contraction regular. So, I told him I prefer Not to be induced. Of course, Dr. Ravi said this will be the best, induction will only be carried out in special conditions. 


(3) Hospital & Labor Charges
  • I have been charged with expensive Consultation & Ultrasound Scanning Fees as compared to all my friends and relatives. So I need to speak to Dr. Ravi next week about the Charges, I don't want to end up RM10K for a normal delivery. -- Must remind Hubby to talk to him --
Answer : Dr. Ravi told us that it will be around the same as the previous pregnancy. It shouldn't be much different. If I am not wrong, we paid about RM 4-5K. Charges included:-
  • NORMAL DELIVERY - DOCTOR'S SERVICE FEES
  • MIDWIVES/ NURSE Service Fees
  • Two Night Stays in a Single Room 
  • Two Night Stays in Nursery for Baby Chloe - even though she was ALL THE WHILE with us. 
  • Dr. Ravi's Visit Twice (One Weekend Charge and One Weekday Charge)
  • Pediatrician's Visit Twice (But Once was charged even though I was in the toilet and he took one minute to talk to me at the bathroom door, STUPID. Dr. Liim Min Kang, I will not use him anymore! But he is the famous one in Gleneagles. Don't know Why!)
  • All the injections given to Baby Chloe - BCG and Checkups Charges
  • One Tank of Entonox (Even though I used twice only)
  • Two shots of Anesthetic, once during the labour, once during the episiotomy.
  • Sanitary Pads, Salt Water, Diapers, etc etc etc.... the necessity. 
  • Medication for Baby Chloe given by Dr. Liim Ming Kang, he said Baby Chloe got sensitive Nose. - But we didn't use the medication at all. For such a young age baby, I think medication should be avoided if it's not severe. 
See, this is how hospitals make money. Hahaha.. Charge item by item. That's why We are seeing many hospital building up around KL and PJ. But the service there is superb, you get what you paid for. Nurses and Midwives there were very gentle and helpful, unlike the other horrible stories that I had heard about midwives and nurses at other hospital. Hope I will get the same treatment for my coming admission. 

Oh, We did not mention to Dr. Ravi about his expensive charges. Hahaha...Both of us were "paiseh" (Shy) to even mention it because he really gives us a good service. He is a very gentle and nice doctor, so what the H**K, hahaha...I am not paying for it. :P

(5) Labor & Contraction
  • I learned that before the actual labor started, the contraction will comes first and it will last for days . I shouldn't rush to the hospital immediately until I feel the contraction is regular and lengthened. Hmm... this is my second pregnancy, and I was told by many mums that 2nd delivery takes very SHORT TIME unlike the 1st delivery. So, should I admit to the hospital once I feel the contraction or should I just wait? How? Must check with Dr. Ravi next week. My MIL told me that she only had ONE HOUR labor for her 2nd pregnancy.
ANSWER : Dr. Ravi said there is no specific answer to this. It is usually shorter labour compared to the first pregnancy. But, he had seen some mums with even longer labour compared to their first pregnancy. Follow the basic rules, admit to the hospital immediately if :
  • If Baby is moving less than 10 times a day
  • If water bag broke
  • If Bleeding
  • If Contraction is consistent every 20mins or so. 
My next appointment will be two weeks later, and I told Dr. Ravi that I can't wait anymore. He said hopefully she is early but he said NOT MORE THAN THREE WEEKS EARLIER. The best is around 37 - 40 Week! Anyway, not like I can control when I want her to come since I didn't want to be induced.   

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is ridiculous to give birth of a healthy Baby for spending more than RM10K here in Penang!
This is the truth happen to me at Penang Adventist Hospital.
Please be aware of all the hidden charges of the so called "maternity package" and the worse is being assign the blood sucking pediatric doctor (children doctor) name: Dr.Mxxx.
They can simply push your baby into the NICU without your consent and start the expensive procedure that can cost RM4K-6K for 1week stay.
The hospital customer service is not professional & just no how to turn their customer around.
Basically they try to tell me that they cannot stop the greedy action of this non ethical pediatric doctor M.
My advice is to avoid this Hospital for delivering baby in Penang, until they have a fair policy that transparent for their patient.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I plan to deliver at this hospital under doc. Zhokumi... but read your review sound like terrible hidden charge.... scary. Even now i still wonder i have done the hiv blood test since i have done in gov hospital and show the result to the doctor.... but she still insist to do another blood test + colsultation that cost me rm345 for my first visit in week 26... but i wonder on my next visit in 35 week she still request to do another blood test + gbs test.... maybe the gbs test is necessary but blood test again??? I may need to call the doctor again to decline the blood test????

Unknown said...

I plan to deliver at this hospital under doc. Zhokumi... but read your review sound like terrible hidden charge.... scary. Even now i still wonder i have done the hiv blood test since i have done in gov hospital and show the result to the doctor.... but she still insist to do another blood test + colsultation that cost me rm345 for my first visit in week 26... but i wonder on my next visit in 35 week she still request to do another blood test + gbs test.... maybe the gbs test is necessary but blood test again??? I may need to call the doctor again to decline the blood test????

Unknown said...

I plan to deliver at this hospital under doc. Zhokumi... but sound like terrible hidden charge.... scary. Even now i still wonder i hav3 done the hiv blood test in gov hospital hut she she still insist to do another blood test + colsultaion ect 345 for my first visit in week 26... but i was wonder why in 35 week she still request to do another blood test + gbs test.... maybe the gbs test is necessary but blood test not sure for what??? Need to consult again or can i refuse????