April 20, 2009

Introduction to Semi-Solid Food : Porridge

It is recommended for babies to start their first solid meal at the age of 6 months old, but most of them is capable to accept semi-solid meal at the age of 4 months old. Baby Chloe is 5 months old today and I have decided to introduce the first semi-solid meal to her today.

Ingredients :-
one small pinch of Jasmine Rice
2 1/2 cup of water
2 tbsp breastmilk
*** Wanted to use brown rice instead, but my mum said brown rice is unprocessed rice so it is courser than the processed rice and it is not so easy to digest. Does anyone know whether is it true? No time to google it yet as I always thought unprocessed food is better than processed?

Steps :-
1. Rinse half hands full of Jasmine Rice with the Crockpot.
2. Add in 2 1/2 cup of plain water.
3. Slow cook for 3 hours
4. Once the porridge is ready, scoop one full tablespoon into a bowl.
5. Mix 2 tbsp of breastmilk into the bowl of porridge.

Baby Chloe was curious at her very first spoon of porridge. First, Mama fed her with a spoon instead of a bottle. Second, the porridge texture is definitely thicker than the milk that she normally consumed. However, she didn't reject the porridge. Her curiosity makes her thrilled and she started to move her hands and legs to indicate to Mama that she wanted another spoon.

The second spoon of porridge to her; she was trying to figure out how to take in the porridge. The method of drinking milk with a bottle or breastfeeding is absolutely different from taking in semi-solid food. She uses lots of tongues action in order to maintain the milk flow from the bottle thus she doesn't know how to consume the porridge. ** Well, most of porridge was wasted!

She started to get very impatient after a few small spoons feed. Haha...First, she was not getting the food into her stomach since she doesn't know how to swallow it. Second, I was feeding her very slowly to make sure I scooped most of the liquid instead of the rice and also to make sure it is at the right temperature to consume.

Her impatience led to WU NGA WU NGA WU NGA. I used to think her WU NGA WU NGA was cute. *sigh* This is not the case anymore. Her WU NGA WU NGA WU NGA turned into YELLING more than a cry. She fiercefully cried to show her unhappiness to Mama. To be honest, the continuous of Baby crying non-stop and not knowing how to stop them from crying can make one crazy and frustrated! Mama ended up breastfeeding her to calm her down while I left my mum cleaned up the mess of porridge at the living room.

"Baby Chloe, I know you are getting more and more impatient. Let Mama tell you this, Mama is also not a patient Mama, so you better behave well. Don't make Mama angry, Otherwise I will be scarier than Uncle Hulk!!"

3 comments:

Nicole said...

wow, baby chloe has started on semi solid food? that's fast....

hahhaahhaaa...i agree to the part about baby crying non-stop. really can drive one crazy....

Chris Yee said...

Ya. I am only available on Sunday and I want to make sure I go through the process of her solid food so I started one month early. I will only feed her every sunday from now onwards until I feel it is safe for my maid or granny to feed Baby Chloe without my supervision. :P

anjoe.chou said...

I also heard somebody said that unpolished rice is more difficult to digest. It is quite hard to cook it well. Have you thought of blending the porridge when it is half-cooked and cook it to a smooth paste?