November 2, 2013

Kuih Bahulu



My Cs always love Kuih Bahulu, but I don't encourage it as I personally think it's too sweet for the kids. So...since I need to fill up my "gap", I think I can figure out Homemade Kuih Bahulu Kurang Manis (Less Sweet). Furthermore, my mom said "it's super easy to make!" So, I got myself the Iron Cast Mould. 

Once again, just like macaroons, 4 simple ingredients and easy procedure.

Ingredients :-
4 eggs
120 grams sugar
150 grams All-Purpose Flour
1 tsp Baking Powder

Steps:-
1) Preheat Oven 200 deg C
2) Beat the eggs and sugar for 20 minutes in the stand mixer ( I used speed 3 in my OLD kenwood mixer), until the batter turns pale white and ribbon-liked texture.
3) Sieve the Flour & Baking Powder. Fold the dry ingredients gently into the eggs batter in three parts. 
4) Heat the iron cast mould in the oven until it is really hot, then bring it out to grease it with oil (I used butter for better aroma).
5) It's always good to hear the sizzling sound upon greasing the mould, it means YES, IT'S HOT ENOUGH TO GO.
6) Put Batter into the piping bag, and pipe into the mould.
7) Into the oven it goes, and bake for 8-10 minutes at the middle rack.

Who said it's easy to make Kuih Bahulu?! I had problem with the baking process, since it's my very first, I had no idea how hot, how long should I bake them. 

The first batch was too pale, the second bath was a little burnt, PLUS, because the first two batches were not baked properly and the mould was DIRTY. Yes, I had ONE MOULD for 42 pieces recipe. Every time the new batch went into the oven, I had to check the sponge every 3 - 4 minutes to ensure they are not overbaked!  This was what happened, I almost got my hands BAKED too! 



Cs love the homemade Kuih Bahulu, even though it is more like mini sponge cake. Hahaha.... 

Then I said to Big C,

MaMa : Big C a, do you like my Kuih Bahulu?

Big C : Yes! MaMa make again, ok?

MaMa : Look, I burnt my hand while baking these Kuih Bahulu. (Sob!) But as long as you love it, I will make them again!

Big C : No, MaMa. I don't like Kuih Bahulu anymore.

MaMa : huh? Why? Not nice a?

Big C : *shake her hand* I don't want MaMa to make kuih bahulu anymore because it will burn your hands.

SO SWEET!!!!!!!! So worth it, right?

No comments: