August 13, 2009

My Baby Chloe is sick

last night at about 11pm, when Hubby told me that Baby Chloe was having fever, I quickly touched her forehead and answered, "No La". I thought he was being paranoid as I was sick for the past two days. At that time, I didn't though it was fever because Baby Chloe has a warmer body temperature usually. Then, in the middle of the night, Hubby exclaimed," SHIT SHIT SHIT! Bi, Wake up! Baby Chloe has very high fever."



I was shocked and immediately hold Baby Chloe. Without touching her forehead, I could already felt her heat from her whole body. It was very obvious that she was already having fever, but I wanted to know how high exactly. We took up the digital Thermometer and placed it under her armpit. After 20s, I was totally horrified when the display shown 38.2C. I was only at 37.5C when I had fever last two days, and now Baby Chloe is so much higher than me. Moreover, I could feel the heat every parts of her body. :( As usual, Hubby started to roared, and complained that everyone in this family does not practise hygiene... and why the maid did not keep everything at the very best hygienic level. *sigh* I was trying to keep calm, and remembered that Dr. Patrick (Chloe's Pedi) gave us a bottle of Uphamol and that will help to reduce the fever. Maybe Hubby was still not over the incident when Baby Chloe was choked by the Uphamol, he did not really agree but I insisted. I searched for the Oral Syringe and pulled up to 3ml (it's maximum) since the instruction said 5ml for Baby 6 months old and above.



Before I could push in the Uphamol, Hubby was already making so much noise! He stopped and said I shouldn't continue, he didn't want the same incident to repeat again. No matter how I explained to him that Baby Chloe was very very young then, he insisted that I should stop it. I didn't want to argue further, that's why I stopped and fed her milk instead. Baby Chloe didn't know what was going on, she was still the same her who makes noise and smiles at Funny Faces. When I see Baby Chloe smiled, immediately my worries lessen. Hubby suggested to go to the Emergency, but I refused to as I had many many bad experience with all the emergency treatment. They were slow, they made assumption, and they made a wrong diagnosis. Well, perhaps, I was the many times unluckly patient but defenitely they were not reliable. UNLESS, SEVERE accident which could take someone's life away - that's their EMERGENCY! Well, I could be too one-sided with all my bad experience. Anyway, I suggested to wait till morning and go straight to Dr. Patrick. Meanwhile, I had this Baby Cooling Pad sticked on Baby Chloe's forehead to minimise a little heat, which was quite effective. Of course, effective in the sense that Baby Chloe's temperature has reduced slightly especially her forehead, face, hands & legs, but her body and neck remained at high heat. This Cooling Gel will not helps to get rid of the Fever, at least not such a high fever like Baby Chloe.



This morning, I woke up and the first thing that I did was to check on Baby Chloe's temperature. It was still very high, about 38.5C shown on the Thermometer Display. Then, I woke my mum's up because I need her to accompany to send Baby Chloe's to Dr. Patrick since Hubby has a very important meeting to attend. He wanted to cancel the meeting but I insisted that I could handle, besides my mum was around to help out. 1st Appointment is at 9am. We were all ready by 8.15am this morning, I thought I should give it a try and made a call to the Dr. Patrick's clinic. I was happy that someone actually picked up the call, and I told her that I want to come now but I do not have any appointment. Initially, they told me that I might need to wait long. I quickily told them with my shaky voice," Chloe Chan Wyn Lam, she is having fever more than 38C". The phone operator told me to come to the clinic immediately.



I thought I was early because we arrived there at about 8.40am, but I was so wrong. The clinic was already jam packed with many many children with their parents, ALL SICK! What is wrong with the weather, the environment??? Please stop the pollution, please stop the haze and save our children! Once we arrived, I went to register first. Then, a nurse came to Chloe to check on the weight & height. She was 8.84kg & 69cm. But it was terrifying that when the nurse told me that her temperature was at 40C. I was even shaking more and scared, gosh!!! What did I do? I should not have gone home when I was sick, I should stay somewhere else. I started to blame myself for all the silly mistake and statement that I made. I shouldn't have stayed home when I was sick, 3 feet away is NOT good enough! I should have instructed my maid to be extra careful with cleanliness like what my hubby said. Or I should have waited for ONE MORE DAY to make sure before I hold Baby Chloe again. Arghh.....Too late. Is all too late!!!!



Before Dr. Patrick arrived, Baby Chloe started to cry due to tireness ? fever? frustration? Not sure, she was a little different from other days. She was less active this morning, and she was crying mildly only. It Made me even more worried. The nurse called Baby Chloe into the room and insert medication from her backside. My mum told me that usually this insert will only be given for children with very high temperature. Andrew and Eric (my brothers) used to have this before.



Priority was given to Baby Chloe, once Dr. Patrick arrived, Baby Chloe was called into the room first. He checked her throat and he said was a little infected but no big deal. Then, he checked her lungs was ok. After that, ear & nose were also perfectly fine. I told him that I was sick the last two days, his face immediately changed and started to question me. " Did your doctor say that it was H1N1? Did you have high fever for more than 3 days? Cough? Flu? Body Ache? Headache?" I was also worrying about this issue when I was sick, but then Dr. Patrick confirmed that it was only virus infection since my fever was only at 37.5C, and it lasted for only two days. *phew* His face shown a sign of relax I could see, as it has eliminate the chance of H1N1. I almost wanted to tear! He gave me a stronger Uphamol and told me to feed her 2.5ml every 4 hours, and also gave me antiboitic to standby but not recommended.



As per told, after one hour of the insertion. Baby Chloe's fever subsided. She was happily playing with her Choo Choo Train and enjoying the Coo Coo Clock! We did not manage to feed her the uphamol because she vomitted twice. I took it for granted and told my mum that since her fever had gone maybe we should just leave the uphamol aside. At about 3pm, her fever is slowly coming back, and I am like ants at the hot pots jumping for help. I was confused and worried, my mum insisted to feed her the Uphamol and we did. After a struggle with Baby Chloe, I managed to push in the 2.5ml orange flavoured Uphamol into her throat. She was crying aloud but I knew I have to do it. And now, she is still sleeping....

I am very sad, crying in the room alone. I know, compare to many many other case, my case is considered minor. Andrew and Eric were so sick that they were hospitalized many times, at least Baby Chloe is resting at home calmly. But, It is so difficult to be a mom. I don't want to be sick because I want to take care of her. But I rather I be sick than Baby Chloe be sick. At least hubby and my mum or my maid can take good care of her when I am sick. She doesn't need to suffer so much.

I am so so so sorry! I am a lousy mother! Baby Chloe, get well soon. Pass your fever to Mama!!! :(

No comments: