August 15, 2009

My Baby Chloe is sick - Part II

Being a mother is a big big task, Mama has to be extra extra strong both physically & mentally. Gosh, It was totally insane and devastating to me! Baby Chloe's fever did not subside and it remained at high temperature even after Uphamol & Anti-biotic. I understand that these medications are not wonders over night, but seeing Baby Chloe suffered just stressed me up. I would rather myself be sick and not her! Well, Yesterday morning, her fever did not subside and we decided to go to Dr. Patrick again for advise, we worried that the high fever will lead to convulsion.

Temperature was taken at Dr. Patrick Clinic and it read as 39.5C. Dr. Patrick checked her lung, again her lung is clear. Ear & Nose are perfectly okay, except for her throat which was a little reddish due to the infection. However, Dr. Patrick suggested that her fever should not stay so high constantly, he said it might be the possibility of the H1N1 or Rotavirus. Due to her high fever, Dr. Patrick decided to take a swab test. He told us that if it's Negative means 50/50 chances of H1N1, if it's positive it is 95% of H1N1. We thought no harm give it a test, because we knew that it will not be H1N1. But, We decided to admit Baby Chloe into the hospital so that it will be easier for the nurse and doctor to assist us in monitoring Baby Chloe's fever.

The hospital was surprisingly full, so many cases are waiting for admission while we were trying to register Baby Chloe for admission. At the end, the only choice left was a 2-bedded room. All Doctors agree that Hospitals are the higher risk for H1N1, I have already put Baby Chloe a risk to admit her and now to share is even higher risk, and there is no way that Hubby and I could accept a two-bedded room. We rather monitor Baby Chloe's fever at home. So, we have decided to go home but Hubby went up to Dr.Patrick for more advise on the treatment. While my mum and I were waiting in the car with Baby Chloe, I received a phone call from my hubby. He asked me strange question like when was I sick, what was the temperature etc etc etc.. Then I asked with my voice a little trembled " Is it positive?" Hubby said "Ya," I could her Dr. Patrick said to Hubby, " Get your wife to send Baby Chloe to the clinic first." Then, we went to the clinic with Baby Chloe again. The results stated INFLUENZA A - Weak position. I was terrified and stunt, and did not know how to react. How could my Baby Chloe be infected with H1N1? Uncontrollably burst into tears! Dr. Patrick said the qu0ta for H1N1 for the hospital is full, he recommended us to Prince Court.

We quickly went to Prince Court for admission. I was still in shock, other than crying, I didn't know what to do. Dr. Anna told us that the result put everyone in a very difficult situation. It is a Yes and No kinda thing. The word positive means YES 95% of H1N1, the word Weak could means NO could means YES. Of course, even the test showed NEGATIVE, it means 50/50. So what the hell is a WEAK POSITIVE? I was devastated, other than crying, I couldn't keep myself calm at all. So, eventually, we have no choice to put Baby Chloe on Tamiflu ( A medication which believe it will helps in H1N1 Dr. Anna said).

We waited until 3pm and we were sent to WARD 5 - infact during the consultation Dr. Anna did mentioned about the isolation ward - but I was not thinking well at that time. Hubby and I were both shocked when we were outside WARD 5. The entrance was tightly closed, and everyone who entered MUST wear a proper mask. We were both shocked and realised that something was not right. WARD 5 is a super high risk WARD for my Baby, and she is not even confirmed with H1N1, how could I be so stupid to put her at such a high risk, especially at her most vulnerable state. So, Hubby shouted to open the door! I was dumbfully walked into the WARD without even thinking properly. Initially, the nurse refused to open the door, LUCKLY Dr. Choy at the counter saw us both panic, and ordered to open the door and send us out. He took a glance at Baby Chloe's swab test report and told the nurse, "Let them out, She's not even confirmed with H1N1, tell them Dr. Choy said so". The nurse quickly let us out. I was panic and not over with shocked, while holding Baby Chloe tightly with tears. Doctor explained to us it was a procedure for them to put anyone with positive result in an isolation ward,unfortunately,the only way to be tested with H1N1 is to go to the government hospital and all the private hospitals do not have the facilities to do so. In order to eliminate the chance of widespread, those with POSITIVE shall be admitted to the isolation ward for treatment.

I finally asked "Dar dar, I don't understand at all. Baby Chloe only has High Fever, She doesn't have any flu or cough. She did not vomit and she eats well, how can they determine or make assumption that Baby Chloe is infected with H1N1?" We were too panic to think, and eventually we went up to Dr. Anna and she agreed that it will put Chloe at high risk if she was warded there. What the F88K! Then, why put us there? In the end, we insisted to be admitted to the normal ward. The stupid test result is really putting us at the GREY area, WEAKLY POSITIVE!!! Negative means 50/50, what's WEAKLY POSITION? It could be just normal influenza.

After a long huuhaa, we were sent to the Children's WARD - WARD D! Come on, children there are all with high fever too!!! But I totally understand that I shouldn't be selfish and I have to safeguard other's children too, so I ISOLATE ourself in the ward room and didn't come out at all.
Baby Chloe was fed with 5ml of Panadol (125g) and 2ml of Tamiflu, and she was too tired after a long day and slept.

Her fever finally gone down, and it was 38C, Yes, to me this is already an improvement. First, it is no long the terrifying 39 - 40C. Plus, I could feel her body temperature was not as high as the first day. Gradually, her fever subsided and I was so glad!

In the night, her fever slightly went up to 37.6C and she was given another dose of panadol at about 11pm. Then, her fever slowly subsides again. At least, Panadol is controlling her fever, unlike the Uphamol, after many dose still remained high. (Perhaps I was too nervous and impatient, should have waited for another day, but who can guarantee? Convulsion, Brain Damage or any other illness was my worried at that time - by the way, just a piece of information, I was informed that convulsion would only happened if there is a sudden rise in temperature) Anyway, It was pleased and relaxed the moment her temperature was being controlled.

Throughout the night, nurses came in and out to monitor on the temperature, and it was all perfect. No fever, therefore they did not give her any medication at all.

However, this morning at about 10.30am, her fever came back a little at 37.4C. But at least there is a good improvement to me. Dr. Anna advise since we had started the Tamiflu, might as well finished it up, she said it is easier to be treated within 48 hours - well again, she was trying to imply the H1N1 influenza. She still could not CONFIRM that Baby Chloe is infected H1N1 or normal influenza flu. HELLO?? Her fever has subsided???? No Vomiting? No sigh of flu! Naturally, slight cough after a NORMAL INFLUENZA FLU is common. Anyhow, I hardly hear her cough, up to now is only three times! Is that considered coughing? YOU TELL ME!

PHEW, after a long horrifying incident, we are now finally back home! Baby Chloe is sleeping soundly on her sarong.

Well, treat it as a hotel stay (Not that I like to come back again)! We had the most beautiful view in town while sleeping. Overseeing KL night lit up with our famous twin towers, Kl towers and all other sky scrappers. Beautiful sight indeed. Nice Hospital, very comfortable and very modern. Not so expensive, but I think what they need now is to attract more famous doctors to attract more patients!

BUT the best place to live in town is always MY OWN HOME. HOME is the best place in town even without beautiful sight! HOME is where we belong to!

I wish Baby Chloe to be healthy and happy forever and ever!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm just a mama googling symptoms as my 10mo old has had a fever and we are in USA H1N1 outbreak. Iam so glad to read your baby was fine and doing better.
Blessings