June 2, 2009

Guilt over Weaning Breastfeeding

Baby Chloe is 6 1/2 months old now. My plan was to stop breastfeeding at her 6th month, but I realised it is not as easy as I thought. We have developed a bond through breastfeeding, and we are so physically and emotionally attached. It troubled me for a while as I am leaving for Siem Reap for 3 days holidays with hubby soon, I am worrying what will happened to Baby Chloe without breastmilk. My freezer has already run out of milk supply.

I am no longer able to meet Baby Chloe's milking demand. Therefore, she is being fed with breastmilk once in the morning, once in the afternoon, and once in the evening. Formula Once at night, once in the afternoon. And one mini porridge meal during the day time. She would wake up two times in a night for feeding. I usually nurse her at night, but for the past two days I asked for mum's help to take over the night job, my mum fed her formula twice in the night.

I was surfing the internet to overcome the guilt of thinking to wean off from breastfeeding for Baby Chloe. I was trying to seek comfort by reading them and obtain more supports that it is not wrong to stop breastfeeding. It is just making me feel so bad, and everytime when I start thinking about weaning, I feel sad for Baby Chloe. Especially, when LOVING PAPA questioned me why should I stop breastfeeding, he even made a statement "It is Mama's job to breastfeeding, you shouldn't stop it" I didn't get the exact quote from him, but it was what he meant. He made me feel extra guilty for even thinking of weaning.

I was reading some comments from nursing mothers, and most of them agreed that weaning is mother's deicision and I should not be distracted from others. As I was surfing the net reading more and more about weaning from breastfeeding for the past few days, I suddenly realise something today.

Baby Chloe is ready to wean off from breastfeeding, and so am I. I was nursing her at about 9pm, but she was still crying after nursed. I thougth she was trying to bully me, and tried to make more noise to catch my attention. But after a while, when my mum suggested to feed her formula ( It is kinda making me feel unhappy somehow) since she is still complaining. So, I quickily changed her into her sleep suit and fed her 6oz of formula which she had finished in 10 minutes. Ok, my mum was right, She was crying for hunger.

Then, I started to think, I shouldn't be guilty over this matter. Somehow someday I have to stop breastfeeding. Baby Chloe is absolutely fine without breastmilk now. She is also getting enough nutrients from the formula & semi-solid food. Besides, she is extremely happy whenever we pass her the milk bottle, and she would hold the bottle herself and enjoy her milk at her own sweet time. My mum also assures me that Baby Chloe was doing good even though I didn't nurse her for the last two nights when she was with my mum, she slept well too.

Baby Chloe and Mama are ready!!!!!!!! No Guilt at all!!!

No comments: