February 25, 2013

Sleep Training for Cs

Yes, I have gone through the stage of getting Cs to "sleep through the night" - Phew~ It's the hardest phase in my parenting record so far. (*I know, more parenting challenges to come.*) I cannot imagine getting myself back to the Sleep-deprived stage, whereby M & Me were only getting 2 - 4 hours sleep a day in SECTIONS. Geezzz.....  

So, what's the Sleep Training context about today? Well, I can't help feeling envious of my friends' kids who are able to sleep on their own. I am not expecting my kids to sleep in their OWN room yet as I don't have a spare room for now. But, at least getting them to bed on their OWN. 

Cs have been very very very attached to M & Me, especially in the night. For some reasons, M & Me are very much comfortable and happy to sleep together with Cs as we feel that's our BONDING TIME with the kids since we don't see the kids for long hours during the weekdays. Hmm...somehow, we get a little wearied of the routine. Oppsie. :P

I am rather strict with the girls' sleeping routine, especially Big C. I always get them ready by 9 - 9:30pm for bed. By 10pm, they should be all asleep. It will a lot easier if it was Novi who sent them to bed, by most 1/2 hour times, they will be asleep. However, if it was me or M *Sigh*, they will put on their wonderful act and dragged it till late. I mean really late like 11pm or even 12 midnight sometimes. SO TIRING! Sometimes, we reached home late intentionally, so that Cs will just resort with sleeping early since Kakak will definitely not going to entertain them till late. Bad MaMa, I know. :p

Somehow I feel, this is not right! Cs have to learn to sleep on their own. They can do it during the daytime for their naps, why not in the night? I don't see a problem at all. So, I come out with a good plan. First, I have to coax Big C to be a "brave" princess using Mermaid Ariel as her role model. Hahaha...Yes... Princess Ariel is set as the "Brave" Princess from the audio storybook that I have been playing her Cs.

Then, I "threatened" her that if she is not "brave" enough to sleep on her own, I will not let PaPa into the room and have PaPa continue to work and not be home.

Then, again I used a lot of "Princess' Rules" to make sleeping on her own is a very very "Princess" thing to do. 

Little C is a lot easier, most of the times, she would just fall asleep on her own without much hassle. Unless, Big C put up a big show, wailing for PaPa & MaMa, otherwise Little C is pretty much happy to get to bed at around 9pm. 

Well, I am not sure whether was the COAXING or the THREATENING worked. 

Day 1 : FAILED!

I told them not to be afraid, and that I will be just right at the door. I will be there for them IMMEDIATELY they shout out for me. Well, lights off, MaMa's out of the rooms, girls on bed. Not long after, Big C ran out and called for the loo. I had no choice but to bring them one after another. The story didn't end at the loo, they started to request for water, the lights on then the lights off UNTIL I surrendered and went in to bed with them. 

My plan continued to fail me for daysssssss until 

Day XX :

As usual, I told that I will be right at the door. Before I got out of the room, I told them no "shh shh", no water. But I gave them the option to have the lights on, and Big C chose to have the lights on. Thus, I left the room with the lights on, door closed. The girls chatted and laughed in the room, those melodious laughters and voices were so heart-melting. At the end, I sat by the door for almost 1/2 hours, listening to their beautiful voices. After which I realised that it was not right for them to CHAT in the night, it's time for bed. I shouted out at the door, and ordered them to SLEEP immediately. The room remained quiet for a while, and I slipped away to have my TV time. YUPPY!

Well, I didn't win all the times but at least I have the 50% winning record so far. Kakak is also doing the same, she would stay at the door and peep into the room once a while to make sure the girls are asleep before she take her rest. The situation is getting better each day. :)

Hopefully, it will be PERMANENT and that I will be the 100% winner! Muahahaha

No comments: