July 13, 2012

Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother - By Amy Chua

I didn't buy this book because of its popularity. I have to shamefully admit that I am such an ignorant on what's happening with the world. I had no single idea about this book when I purchased it. I was attracted to this book for the simplest reasons : (1) It was on 50% discount (2) The author has two girls just like me, and I would like to get some tips in raising my girls too.

Infact, I bought this book from Borders in early 2012. I didn't touch the book until last month when I saw it laying on my desk collecting an inch thick of dust. Yeah... also another indication to show that I don't even go near to my desk for ANY BOOKS or ANY ACTIVITIES. I didn't know it is actually the hottest controversial book that everyone in the world is talking about. Even my sister, who is not a mother yet, knew about this book. She happened to see the short interviewing on BBC while she was browsing the Astro.

The author really cracked me up with her parenting style, or it could be the way she described with her humor sense. The best part is reading some of the reviews from all over the world, from both extreme - HATRED & ADMIRATION. Some actually commented that the author should be prosecuted for child abuse - and I think this is so funny.

I don't think I will ever employ her parenting against my girls. Firstly, her way of raising children in her "Chinese" way is absurd, in my opinion, or I should just say I don't have her quality to raise my girls the "Chinese" way she referred. The author is no ordinary woman, she is intelligent and strong-willed. There is no doubt about her children genetically inherited the family's IQ from both maternal and paternal sides.

I agree with her to some extents. Talent is definitely not in-born. Talent means 4-5 hours of practise, and extreme hardwork. Anyone can be GOOD, but not everyone can be TALENTED. Honestly, I really don't see myself in her position with such preseverance and patience to guide my girls, but I want to at least try to MAKE THEM TO BE SOMEONE IDENPANDENTLY USEFUL as such they can utilize their "skill" (be it ballet, violin, piano, drawing etc) in the future for a simple living. I don't expect them to be academically intelligent, as I mentioned before, neither hubby nor I are in that category. Of course, it would be very much rewarding if they could excel academically and surpass us. HOORAY!

The author is no doubt an extra-ordinary good mother. She spent all her times understanding the every score that her daughters play, up till the very tiny-bitsy little details like the composer's background, the genre, the atmosphere, the tempo, the fingering, the posture, the history, etc etc etc.... her approach to drill every music piece with her daughters was daunting and tiring, JUST BY READING IT.

Halfway through reading, I would murmurred words like these "Jesus Christ", "Oh My God", "HaHa...Sure Bor", "Walau...this mother is so scary.." etc...

Well, it is an interesting book to read, definitely not for me to adopt her "Chinese" parenting. I love the "Western" way of parenting with a little essence of Strict "Chinese" way. That's why I love P&J, the Montesorries Way. Haha... Learning through play is definetely a big NO NO to those strict parents. I belive in BALANCE, and still struggling to achieve it. Bleah...sounding so good but acting so badly. I still can't control myself from threatening and screaming at Chloe and Clarisse when they did somethng against my will. :P

Anyway, thanks to the author. She inspires me that I should AT LEAST work something out for my children. She is a working mom, and she could spent so much time with her daugthers practising piano and violin. I don't see a reason why can't I spend some times EVERYDAY to work something out for them. At this age? Sure! There are plenty that I can do, practising reading aloud, playing puzzle, learn to count, learn to sing, learn to write, learn to color, learn to paint, so many more.

No comments: